Sunday, January 29, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 57, Line 16

I will be fond of keeping still, and the people will of themselves become correct.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

I enjoy peace and people become honest.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

I prefer quiet, and the people right themselves
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

I keep silent,
and they do the right thing
on their own.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
If each of us held our peace, there would be no war or aggression. Wars (or arguments, for that matter) originate with language. You say this and I counter with that. You don't like what I think and I don't like what you say. Before we know it, our words have morphed into a battle of wits and, in some instances, physical battle.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.