Thursday, April 22, 2010

Exploration

It's true of most of us that, as we age, we can get really set in our ways. This is particularly true when it comes to the realm of ideas and concepts. We're used to looking at the world through one narrow lens and, in time, it's not uncommon to develop tunnel vision.

Consequently, I think it's a good thing to stretch one's legs from time to time, to walk around the block with eyes wide open. In going through the Wen Tzu (which, by the way, I should f-i-n-a-l-l-y complete in the next two days or so) and pondering the ideas laid out, it has frequently challenged me to move beyond my current perspective. Like a lot of people I know, I sometimes have resented the nudge and have tried valiantly to cling to my comfortable worldview.

But the philosophies of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu are beginning to get under my skin (in a most positive way) and, try as I might, I think it's time I dig myself out of my self-imposed ideological rut. So, in the coming weeks, I plan to broaden the scope of my explorations into the realm of philosophic ideas and I will share my journey and analyses of such in this space.

It has been suggested by many that the early Taoist writings present a view of humankind that tilts toward and advocates for anarchism. To be quite frank, I've never given this idea much serious thought. Further, due to my peace activism of the past 15 years, I haven't held a very positive view of contemporary anarchists because they tended to turn peaceful marches and rallies into tense confrontations between protesters and the police.

Still, despite my obvious reticence toward the concept of anarchy, even I can't deny that this theme raises its head again and again in the thoughts of Lao Tzu and, especially, Chuang Tzu. So rather than simply sweep it under the rug and pretend that this ideation is not present, I've decided I need to explore the concept of anarchy as well as other concepts that lie outside of my accepted framework.

To this end, here is something for you to chew on. It comes from An Anarchist FAQ*:
Anarchism is a socio-economic and political theory, but not an ideology. The difference is very important. Basically, theory means you have ideas; an ideology means ideas have you. Anarchism is a body of ideas, but they are flexible, in a constant state of evolution and flux, and open to modification in light of new data. As society changes and develops, so does anarchism. An ideology, in contrast, is a set of "fixed" ideas which people believe dogmatically, usually ignoring reality or "changing" it so as to fit with the ideology, which is (by definition) correct. All such "fixed" ideas are the source of tyranny and contradiction, leading to attempts to make everyone fit onto a Procrustean Bed. This will be true regardless of the ideology in question -- Leninism, Objectivism, "Libertarianism," or whatever -- all will all have the same effect: the destruction of real individuals in the name of a doctrine, a doctrine that usually serves the interest of some ruling elite.

...Dogmas are static and deathlike in their rigidity, often the work of some dead "prophet," religious or secular, whose followers erect his or her ideas into an idol, immutable as stone. Anarchists want the living to bury the dead so that the living can get on with their lives. The living should rule the dead, not vice versa. Ideologies are the nemesis of critical thinking and consequently of freedom, providing a book of rules and "answers" which relieve us of the "burden" of thinking for ourselves.
*Note: Interestingly enough, I found this site because the information contained within is part of a package I downloaded for my Debian GNU/Linux operating system. I can't imagine Microsoft making this kind of information available to Windows users.

5 comments:

  1. as an early teen, anarchism appealed to me. of course it's a very impractical idea but i do have a positive view of it. not because of the actions of the anarchists- fortunately i am young enough to know anarchy as only a political theory- and one that has many redeeming qualities. however if it were ever put into practice (in the form of abolishment of government) the world would descend into pure chaos and it would be run by bullies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My initial reaction is that I agree that it sounds impractical, but I'm going to explore these concepts with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inktomi - The world IS run by bullies ;D

    Yet this way around they make laws to justify their ways hehe.

    PS on the OS: I love Linux for this open philosophy. The best is used and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Fedora documentation had some gems in it too. I love Linux! I also have a positive view of anarchy. But politically, I wish we had some Daoists in office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta Wan is so right on this point. The bullies run the world today, but are able to convince most people that this isn't so.

    Misha,
    How 'bout some Taoist anarchists? Oh, wait a minute, that's a contradiction in terms! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.