Monday, May 11, 2009

No Apologies Necessary

Over the past several weeks many of my favorite blogs have been relatively silent. I get used to checking them once or more per day to glean new kernels of insight, wisdom or humor. All of a sudden, however, the flow stops and I'm left scratching my head.

In most cases, the posts begin flowing again at some point. The author bends over backwards in apology, explaining that one or more of the following things had occurred:
  • Personal or family crisis
  • Job stress (good and bad)
  • Too many things going on at once
  • Illness or injury
  • Vacation
  • Depression
  • Lack of motivation to write (writer's block)
  • Computer or internet-related issues
Well, I have a message for my fellow bloggers -- Quit apologizing! Blogs are a privilege, not an obligation. In the overall scheme of things, blogs simply aren't that important.

It's one thing to provide a brief explanation for the sudden cessation in posting; it's quite another to feel the need to apologize for living a life. As the saying goes, shit happens and it happens to each of us. If any of your faithful readers gets into a tizzy because you are not posting to THEIR preferred schedule, you're better off without them!

All a blog really entails is a forum to allow others the opportunity to see what's going on in a portion of your brain. You are allowing us a chance to see what you're passionate about, what issues make you tick. Many of us relish this opportunity you have provided.

But that's as far as it goes. We really can't mandate nor compel you to share. It's a one-way street and you alone get to set the direction.

So, for those of you who are posting again, I'm overjoyed. I've missed your ruminations on this thing we call life. I enter into this virtual relationship with no expectations. I'm content in the knowledge that we can share some time and words together -- however long or short it may be.

And for those of you who are not posting at present, I'll keep a lookout for when you may post again. If that time never comes, rest assured that I am thankful for the brief space we shared. It was my privilege to be able to glimpse a thread or two of you.

Really. No apologies are necessary.

2 comments:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.