Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Double Vision

One new phase of my life commenced today -- I received my first pair of bifocals. Unlike many people, I really don't care how old they make me look; I'm more of a utilitarian than that. The issue for me is trying to get used to them! The world looks far different through a split screen.

My dad refuses to wear bifocals because he can't seem to adapt to a split screen world. Negotiating steps and curves takes conscious effort to tilt one's head in a precise way, lest you look through the wrong lens and go tumbling down.

But I refuse to allow my dad's opinion to predispose me to my own view. I'm going to wear my new specs a little each day until I get the hang of them. I won't drive with them on -- I'll use my old pair instead -- until I get things down pat.

If anyone reading this has experience with bifocals, I would appreciate some tips.

2 comments:

  1. I'm 41 -- I got these great seamlessly graduated bifocals and I love them. Took a bit of adjustment on how they work, but I love picture books (a la Stephen Biesty), and now I can see details in the illustrations I've been missing for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive comment. There may be hope for me yet!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.