Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dreams

Forty-one years ago on this coming Saturday, Martin Luther King, Jr. was murdered. If he were alive today, he would be 80 years old. MLK was far from perfect; he struggled with the same vices and foibles as the rest of us. Despite his human struggles, he was a man of undying principle and courage.

He has become a hero to many, including me. It's not simply because of his activism in the area of civil rights; he also spoke out against the Vietnam War when it wasn't chic and championed the cause of economic justice.

While he wrote numerous books of an inspiring nature and delivered countless rousing speeches, his most famous address came on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on August 28, 1963, as part of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Every time I hear his words spoken on that day -- and I'm not the least ashamed to admit it -- I'm filled with such emotion that the tears easily wash down my face.

Most people have seen and/or heard brief snippets of the "I Have a Dream" speech, but I've discovered that many people today have not heard it in its entirety. If you've never heard the whole thing or you'd like to hear/see it again...




Let freedom ring!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I really do hope your readers watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Tye, a Protestant (of all things) is one of my heroes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.