Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Missing in America

I'm going to pause from my series on Asperger's Syndrome to comment on a news story I saw on King 5 today. Being that it's Veteran's Day, the noonday anchors brought the viewing audience a feature about the Missing in America Project.

According to the MIP website, their mission is:
The purpose of the MIA Project is to locate, identify and inter the unclaimed cremated remains of American veterans through the joint efforts of private, state and federal organizations. To provide honor and respect to those who have served this country by securing a final resting place for these forgotten heroes.
My response to this is BUNK. It doesn't matter where their body or urn is interred -- on a shelf in a mortuary, buried in the ground or stuck up in a tree -- because they are dead.

Funerals are for the living, not for those who have passed on. Once we each go on to wherever or whatever comes next, I'd be shocked if any us give a hoot what's going on back here. So, while I can certainly understand how this effort might make the veterans involved in the project feel better, I simply don't think it will have any affect whatsoever on the deceased.

For me, the best way to honor current veterans is to work damn hard to ensure there aren't ANY MORE veterans.

No more war -- no more problem.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, and I could not agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.