Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Double-Edged Sword

I received my determination letter today from Washington's Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. I have been classified as an "Individual with Severe Disabilities". While no one would be overjoyed to be classified as such, I am very pleased, if only because my worsening medical condition has been validated by the government.

Yet, this happiness is very tempered. Because I do not fall into the profoundly disabled category, I'm being offered NO SERVICES at this time. No, my name has been added to a waiting list and I've been told I can expect to receive the needed services sometime in the next 2-3 years (that's right, y-e-a-r-s)!

It seems there's not enough money budgeted to provide services to people with disabilities. Our government has more than enough money to wage a senseless war in Iraq, but we don't have enough money to assist our own citizens. Seems like rather odd priorities, doesn't it?

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the true cost of imperialism is the welfare of the people.

    Someday it will change, this sort of self destructive behavior cannot go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is very familiar, in Britain the National Health Service (indeed, the whole welfare state) is underfunded and falling apart.

    Yet Phony Tony has plenty of cash for sending troops into Iraq.

    I agree with Bob, we need to let go of our Imperialist notions and stop clinging to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new status. I recently "came out" at work as someone with a hidden disability. Of course there's been no response, but at least now if they ask me to do something I don't think I can do, I can say "are you remembering to factor in my disability?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here and abroad, the government spends more money on citizens of OTHER countries than here at home I venture to guess if all costs were to be accounted for. We are 'bleeding' away our national assets in more ways than one.

    Hope things work out in your favor nevertheless. And thanks for all the great work on your blog! I've added you to my 'bloglines.' Your a fabulous writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is supposed to be 'you're' a fabulous writer. SPOBD -- Spelling Par Of Brain Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And again, jes. PART. It's PART. (now slinking away and sulking.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.